These homemade protein bars are better than any packaged protein bar, and simple to make too!
You know when you find a recipe and you’re just so excited about it you can hardly contain yourself? That was me with these homemade protein bars. I’ve been making them for a few years now and they have become a staple in our home. I think we like them so much because they don’t taste like a protein bar. They taste like a deliciously soft and chewy oatmeal bar or something like that. It’s hard to describe but just trust. They are amazing.
Not only do we make these a protein bars a few times a month, but now our daughter requests them as well. They are a treat the whole family can enjoy!
- 3 1/3 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 scoops vanilla protein
- 4 tbsp flax meal or seed
- 2 small bananas, well mashed (you want them to be almost runny so they mix in well)
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 4 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg whites or 2 eggs
- 4 tsp agave or honey
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- Add-ins of your choice (chocolate chips, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, protein & flax meal.
- Add banana and peanut butter. Mix until the banana and peanut butter are well combined.
- Mix in the applesauce and egg whites.
- Add the agave and vanilla. Mix well.
- Fold in your add-ins.
- Spread mixture evenly into baking dish.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes in pan, then cut into bars.
- Let cool remainder of the way in the pan.
- Store in fridge in air tight container for up to a week. You'll want to put plastic wrap between layers in your container so they don't stick together. These bars are gooey.
- **Baking times will vary by oven. Make sure the top is firm. The edges should be slightly crispy and golden brown.
I’ve eaten a lot of protein bars and I still say these are the best I’ve ever had (if you like pre-packaged protein bars try Quest Bars). I always have these bars and our much loved energy bites in the fridge. If you need something quick and easy to give you some energy and/or a protein boost, these are our go to foods.