Sharing what’s been on my mind lately.
Every now and then I get an urge to share some random thoughts I’ve been having. It’s like a peek into the deepest, darkest parts of my type A brain. I can sometimes be all over the place, so just go with it, okay? 🙂
Here are some of the random thoughts I’ve been having.
1) Lately I’ve been really taking in the world around me. The people, the environment, etc. I’ve known it for a while, but I’ve finally come to the conclusion that people in Seattle (the Puget Sound in general) are not very friendly. I’ve spent my whole life here, and in the last 10 years I feel like Seattle has become this place I don’t recognize much anymore. People don’t smile and say hi when you walk by them. People are always in a hurry and they drive like maniacs (not fast, more like erratic). Seattle ranks 9th for worst traffic cities in the country, right between Chicago and Dallas. And honestly, I’m over it.
What solidified this for me was a trip I took to Costco a few weeks ago. I was having a really good day so I was smiling and happy. And every single person I smiled at either just stared at me like I was crazy, or frowned. I seriously could not believe a single person would not smile back at me. When we lived in Wichita you couldn’t go anywhere without multiple people smiling and saying hi to you. I really miss that.
2) Yesterday I put my dad’s flag in a display case. I’d been putting off doing that because holding it from time to time made me feel connected to him. Putting it in the case was hard, but I want to preserve it. I also plan to get replacement medals he was awarded to put in there as well.
3) Just when I think our schedule will finally be clearing up, July gets booked almost solid. It’s all great and fun things, but I need to do a better job of scheduling in downtime. Right now August is looking promising, so hopefully we can get a camping trip in then. And maybe a weekend to do some yard work, yikes!
4) I’ve been really uninspired lately. Maybe it’s the summer and needing a vacation, but I haven’t been inspired by any podcasts I listen to, books have been so so, I haven’t felt like getting on the computer at all to write or do work. I think I need a vacation. In fact I KNOW I need a vacation. Preferably one without children. I love them dearly but I am spent and need a few days to decompress.
5) I have a hard time understanding why people still have really bad habits. Like smoking. Why do people still smoke? That’s an honest question! I really don’t get it. You know how terrible it is for you, it makes you smell God awful, your teeth yellow, your skin gets wrinkled. What are the upsides? I completely understand that it’s addicting, but by now we should all be able to replace a crap habit like smoking with something good for us.
6) We took EJ to his first movie on Sunday! We saw Incredibles 2 and it was so good! I was worried he would be a hot mess; he missed his nap, he’s 2 and he cannot ever sit still to save his life. But he did remarkably well! I only had to take him out of the theater once! And we all loved the movie!
7) I’m really excited for summer break! I know a lot of moms dread it, but I am pumped! We have some fun things planned and I can’t wait to not have to be at the beck and call of school drop off and pickup. Seriously, EJ’s nap time gets messed up, I have to argue with A about eating enough breakfast to last her until lunch, and we end up rushing out the door most days with me yelling to hurry up and get shoes on. I am so excited for a more laid back schedule.
8) We are contemplating moving across the state. Mainly for some of the reasons I outlined in bullet number 1, but also for a different life for our kids. We want more space, a slower pace, and a lower cost of living. It’s hard for me to think about moving from a place I’ve lived my entire life (minus our 4 month stint in Wichita) to a place I never in a million years thought I would live, but the more time I spend over there the more attractive it becomes.
I think that’s all for now. I could definitely go down a rabbit hole on some of these topics, but then I’d probably get some hate comments and I just don’t have the time or tenacity to deal with that right now.
Tell me one random thought you’ve had lately!