Doctors don’t always have all the answers, which is why you need to be your own health advocate. Read on to understand what I mean.
This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
I’ve been on my health and fitness journey for a number of years now. But it’s only in the last three years that I’ve focused on alternative medicine for healing. The more I research the more enlightened I become on how our bodies work and how easy it can be for us to take care of ourselves in a more natural way.
This may piss some people off, but I’m going to get real with you for a second. Once a doctor graduates from medical school, the majority of their education comes from pharmaceutical companies (source). Scary, right?! And honestly, some doctors (not all, but a lot) don’t really care about helping you “heal.” They want to prescribe a drug that will usually mask the symptoms of the issue you’re having, and could possibly cause other issues.
We all know those commercials for xyz drug that lists the potential side effects. Does that seem normal to you? Giving you something that’s supposed to make you better, but could cause liver damage or potential heart attack. That doesn’t sound appealing to me.
I used to be of the mindset that drugs were the best way to help treat me and my family. But I’ve come to learn that there are so many other ways to heal or cure our bodies, that don’t require medicine.
Toxins are increasingly prevalent in our society, so seeking out natural remedies is more important than ever. And you would think that the fact that we have so much technology and knowledge at our hands we would be becoming a healthier society. But that’s not the case at all.
Let me share some interesting statistics with you (courtesy of Dr. Mercola).
- In the 40 years we’ve been fighting cancer, we’ve spent over $500 billion dollars, yet the death rate has changed very little.
- Obesity rates are at an all time high and rising. In 2013, the number of obese Americans rose a whole percentage point, after being flat for 5 years.
- For the first time in history, this generation will have a shorter lifespan than their parents, despite spending $2.9 trillion in 2013 on healthcare in the US alone.
- The US CDC estimates that by 2050, 1 in 3 US adults will have diabetes.
- 1 in 8 people 65 years and older currently has Alzheimers. That is expected to rise to 1 in 4 over the next 20 years.
- In 2014, the World Health Organization reported that cancer rates are expected to rise from 14 million diagnoses in 2012, to estimated 22 million annual diagnoses 20 years from now; a 57% increase!
- Did you also know that only about 5% of cancer is genetic?
- Autoimmune diseases such as asthma, food allergies, MS, and more are on the rise annually.
- Nearly 70% of all Americans are taking at least 1 prescription! And that includes 1 in 5 children who take at least 1 prescription a month!
Now, I’m not here to say that natural medicine cures all. I still believe in vaccines and other preventative measures. But when it comes to healing ourselves from the inside out, I believe there are other ways.
Diet and why it’s important
I’ve found that what we put in and on our bodies plays a MASSIVE roll in our overall health. I never thought I’d say this, but by drastically changing what you eat, you could potentially eradicate, or better manage, some of the issues you may be having; no drugs necessary!
I’ve been researching different natural ways to cure and manage conditions like autoimmune disorders (specifically thyroid disease and rheumatoid arthritis), stress and anxiety. And one of the biggest conclusions I’ve come to is this: Diet is key. I quickly realized that many of the staple foods we consume pose adverse effects to multiple systems in our bodies; most Americans are unaware of even the most common offenders.What we put in and on our bodies plays a MASSIVE roll in our overall health. It's time to get involved in your health care! Click To Tweet
I could go on and on about what I’ve found (like how a majority of us have a sensitivity to gluten, the protein found in wheat and many other grains, it may just be less prevalent in some, and how our bodies need higher levels of healthy fat than is recommended, for brain health and longevity) and how I feel diet plays a key roll in our overall health, but let me just leave you with this…
DO YOUR RESEARCH! Learn about your condition. Find a doctor that will support and help you look into a more natural approach to your health. Look for alternative ways you can potentially treat a condition you may have, and if there are things outside prescription medication that can help, try them!
If you’re looking for a resource to get you started, I love Dr. Mercola’s book Effortless Healing.
I don’t know how many times I’ve told people that I’ve been studying diet as a key part of our overall health and they just ignore me. So many people don’t realize that there is a better way! Or they are just lazy and want to keep taking drugs their whole life. I’m unsure of which. But coming from someone who has seen how what we put in our bodies really does matter, I hope you’ll take the time and look into how diet and less exposure to toxins can really be healing and beneficial to your overall health.
***I’m not a doctor or medical professional and cannot treat or diagnose. I’m just a person who has spent a massive amount of time researching non-conventional ways to help heal ourselves.