Ground turkey and sweet potatoes give this skillet so much flavor your family will be begging for seconds!
This post is sponsored by Foster Farms®. All opinions are my own.
Not gonna lie. Moving, a week-long trip to our favorite spot, Chelan, then Christmas and New Years. My body has been like, whoa. I was all over the map with my eating. I always try to make sure I’m feeding my family the best food possible, but sometimes when you’re on the go (for like a month), you fall off the wagon.
Luckily it’s really easy for us to get back on the horse (lots of wild west references in this post), and get back to our clean eating lifestyle.
And this ground turkey sweet potato skillet helps us do just that! I looooove me some sweet potatoes. I was never a big potato fan until I discovered sweet potatoes. Why oh why was my mother depriving us all those years as a child?! The only time we ever ate sweet potatoes was at Thanksgiving. But I have come to love them as the primary starch in my diet.
Then you add some ground turkey and it’s like a match made in heaven. My family only uses the best quality meats, and Foster Farms® Organic Ground Turkey is one of our go-to products. It’s USDA certified organic, 100% natural, organic vegetarian fed and no antibiotics have ever been used. We always grab a package (or two, or three) during our weekly Safeway trip.
THIS GROUND TURKEY SWEET POTATO SKILLET IS FULL OF PROTEIN, HEALTHY FAT, FIBER, VEGGIES, AND VITAMINS AND MINERALS.
I love the pop of flavor you get from the bell pepper and onion. There’s just something about onions that take a savory recipe up a notch, don’t you think?
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Foster Farms® Organic Ground Turkey
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup green onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey and break apart meat.
- Cook until browned, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and water.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Cover for 8-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Remove skillet from heat and garnish with diced green onion before serving.
- Optional: Add mozzarella before adding diced green onion and allow to melt.
Y’all this recipe will knock your socks off! Give it a go and let me know what you think!
Like it? Pin it!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Foster Farms®.