These healthy peanut butter banana muffins don’t taste like a healthy muffin and they pack some surprise ingredients.
I had a lot of folks ask about this recipe when I recently posted a photo on Instagram that had this amazing muffin in it. I think the fact that it is a healthy muffin peaked everyone’s interest. And rightly so because for a healthy muffin, they are pretty tasty.
Sometimes when you think healthy you think bland when it comes to baking. But healthy baking can be just as good as baking in the traditional sense. There are so many “better for you” substitutes for traditional baking ingredients. For example, in this recipe I substitute sugar for honey and agave. I also substitute whole wheat flour for white flour, and I used a healthier peanut butter.
These muffins pack a good dose of protein with the peanut butter and chia seeds. The chia gives you a little extra boost of superfood goodness. And y’all know how I like my superfoods.
These peanut butter banana muffins provide just the right amount of sweetness, but don’t taste like dessert.
- 2 ripe bananas, smashed (make sure you get all the chunks out)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond or cashew milk
- 3/4 cup PB fit peanut butter (if you don't have PB fit you can use regular peanut butter, chunky or smooth)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 chia seeds or hemp hearts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin or grease with coconut oil.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine mashed banana, honey, agave, yogurt, vanilla and milk. Mix until combined.
- Add in peanut butter. Make sure if you use the PB fit you follow the directions for making the peanut butter first, then add it to the batter.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Fold in your chia seeds or hemp hearts.
- Distribute batter evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
- You can purchase PB fit on Amazon, at Costco, Sam's Club and on the Better Body Foods website.
The muffins bake up nicely. I love when a muffin has a nice round, crisp top to it. Almost like a bakery style muffin.Try these healthy peanut butter banana muffins for a great breakfast alternative. Click To Tweet